Scalloped Potatoes are an exemplary dish with layers of potatoes and rich, smooth cheddar sauce on rehash! The fixings are basic in these formulas, yet they are ideal without any preparation side dish for Easter, Christmas, or Thanksgiving!
SCALLOPED POTATOES INGREDIENTS
The ingredients used are very simple and traditional.
- Potatoes – Yukon or Russet potatoes are best for this dish.
- Butter, flour, and milk – For your roux, these ingredients make the base of a creamy sauce.
- Salt and Pepper – are essential to flavor this dish.
- Cheddar cheese –sharp cheddar cheese because it gives the dish a lot of flavors. You could use any cheese you like.
- Paprika – mostly use for color but adds a little flavor.
WHAT ARE THE BEST POTATOES FOR SCALLOPED POTATOES?
Yukon potatoes tend to hold their shape better and don’t need to be peeled but Russets work well too.
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes, (Yukon Gold or Russet; about 2 pounds give or take)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
DIRECTION TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES:
- Preheat stove to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauce skillet, soften, spread, and mix in flour. speed in the milk and season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and bubbling, mixing sporadically with a whisk.
- Diminish warmth and mix in 1 cup of the cheddar.
- Spot a portion of the cut potatoes in a daintily lubed 1.5-quart goulash dish (8×8 or 9×9 will work)
- Pour half of the cheddar sauce over potatoes.
- Rehash with the second layer of potatoes and cheddar sauce.
- Sprinkle the excess 1/2 cup of cheddar on top.
- Top with some paprika for shading.
- Prepare unveiled for around 1 hour at 350°F.
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH IT?
They are incredible with ham or turkey, presented with a green serving of mixed greens or sides like asparagus or broccoli.
WOULD I BE ABLE TO MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yeah. You can set these up, as long as two days early and afterward heat the day of.
On the off chance that you need to mostly prepare these a day early to save time the day of you can. Prepare for 30 minutes, let cool, cover, and refrigerate. Upon the arrival of serving, eliminate from the cooler and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes before heating. Prepare for 30-40 minutes revealed until warmed through.